A Moldavian stew suffused with garlic, fresh tomatoes and sweet paprika.
1 ½ pounds fresh mushrooms (boletes, Portobello, cremini, white or combination of all)
5 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 red pepper cored, seeded and diced
3 large ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
¾ cup dry white wine
Salt and ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1. Trim and clean the mushrooms. Cut into ½ inch pieces.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add and sauté mushrooms until browned, add lemon juice and set aside.
3. Heat remaining oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring until the onions are lightly colored, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, paprika, thyme, and fennel seeds and cook, stirring continually for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and sprinkle in the flour. Add the wine and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms, stir, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
6. Correct the seasoning, sprinkle with parsley and serve.