1 chicken breast
2 large onions chopped
3 eggs plus one yolk
150 grams almonds, toasted and chopped
1 tbsp. Coriander seeds
2 tbsps. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Saffron
1 tsp. Cumin seeds
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tbsp. Grated ginger root
olive oil and cooking oil
10 phyllo leaves
salt and pepper – to taste
1. Grind spices
2. Cook chicken in oil to brown
3. Stir in onions
4. Stir in salt, pepper and spices
5. Let cook until dry
6. Add ½ cup of water or chicken broth
7. Simmer covered for 40 to 45 minutes. Adding more water if needed and turning pieces a few times while cooking
8. Once cooked, transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool and cut into bite size pieces
9. Meanwhile, let the sauce reduce by half until thick.
10. Arrange phyllo leaves in a spring form pan, oiled. Place 1 leaf in the bottom and arrange 8, overlapping on sides of pan, in sucha way that they surpass the boards of the pan. Oiling each leaf as you go.
11. Beat eggs and egg yolk and stir into sauce and cook until it becomes creamy.
12. Arrange chicken in the bottom of prepared pan. Top it with almonds and then the cream. Keep alternating layers in this fashion.
13. Cover with 1 phyllo leaf. Baste with oil.
14. Turn the part of the leaves toward the middle of the filling.
15. Baste top with oil
16. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes
17. Let stand 10 minutes
18. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top and serve (Oh No, I put the cinnamon in the chicken with the other spices!!! Big mistake!!! This is probably very good if made the correct way. YIKES, SORRY Everyone)
January 31, 2004