1 T peanut oil (I used sesame instead)
1/4 C panang curry paste
1 14 ounce can coconut milk
1 lime (juice)
1 T fish sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 pound shrimp (peeled and deviened)
1 red pepper (sliced)
1 handful peas)
1 handful cilantro
1 birds eye chili (thinly sliced) -optional
1 handful peanuts (roasted and chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a sauce pan.
2. Add the panang curry paste and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar and simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
4. Add the shrimp and red pepper and simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with peas, cilantro, chilies and peanuts.
(I found this recipe at http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/01/penang-kung-prawn-penang-curry.html and made no real changes; when something turns out so well why bother.) Did not use the chili garnish since it was already fairly hot. -Paul