French Herb Bread
4 T active dry yeast
¼ C butter
2 T white sugar
½ C minced onion
1 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
3 1/2 C all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 C milk
1 T minced parsley
1 T distilled white vinegar
2 T butter
- Large bowl combine yeast, sugar, 1tsp salt, and 1 ½ cups flour
- In saucepan combine milk, water, ¼ cup of the butter until 110 degrees F (38C). Add milk mixture and vinegar to flour and blend at low speed of mixer, until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups additional flour to form sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead adding ½ to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth and pliable. Place dough in large greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch down and roll into rectangular shape about 16×8 inches.
- In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, ½ tsp salt, parsley and 2TBSP of butter until butter is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the 16” side, roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place bread, seam side down onto a greasedcookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Brush hot bread with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.