1 ½ C grated carrots
1 ½ C thinly sliced Red cabbage
1 ½ C thinly sliced fennel
A handful of broccoli sprouts, pulled apart so as not to clump
¼ C olive oil, more to taste
1 T lime juice, more to taste
1 to 2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce, more to taste
2 generous handfuls of shredded fresh mint
Salt and pepper
3 green onions, thinly sliced
½ C roasted, salted cashews, chopped
Put the carrots, cabbage and fennel in a large bowl. Scatter over the sprouts and toss. Just before serving, add the olive oil, lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce and mint. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine thoroughly. Scatter over the green onions and cashews ans serve.
French Herb Bread
4 T active dry yeast
¼ C butter
2 T white sugar
½ C minced onion
1 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
3 1/2 C all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 C milk
1 T minced parsley
1 T distilled white vinegar
2 T butter
- Large bowl combine yeast, sugar, 1tsp salt, and 1 ½ cups flour
- In saucepan combine milk, water, ¼ cup of the butter until 110 degrees F (38C). Add milk mixture and vinegar to flour and blend at low speed of mixer, until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups additional flour to form sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead adding ½ to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth and pliable. Place dough in large greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch down and roll into rectangular shape about 16×8 inches.
- In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, ½ tsp salt, parsley and 2TBSP of butter until butter is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the 16” side, roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place bread, seam side down onto a greasedcookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Brush hot bread with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.