½ C soy sauce
2 T sugar
1 C chicken stock
¼ C mirin
1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
3 T sugar
2 medium onions, sliced
4 oz yam noodles(shirataki)
1 C sliced bamboo shoots
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 C soaked, rinsed and sliced shitakes
1 cube tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch green onions cut into 2-inch lengths
3 leaves Napa cabbage, sliced
2 T oil
- Mix soy, sugar, stock and mirin together in bowl. Arrange meat and vegetables on a large platter. Heat an electric skillet to 375 degrees F.
- Add oil to skillet and heat. Brown meat in the oil, adding sugar slowly. Move the meat to the corner of the skillet when well browned. Add other vegetables, keeping each separate. Add sauce and cover. Bring to boil and cook 2 minutes. Uncover and turn all ingredients while cooking 2 minutes more. Serve over YAM noodles, on small plates
250 grams of fresh sushi-grade tuna, minced
2 tsp minced red chilies
2 T minced chives
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp sesame oil
½ T grated fresh ginger
4 T of mixed black and white sesame seeds
Oil for deep-frying
1. Combine minced tuna with the chili, chives, salt, pepper, sesame oil and ginger in a bowl. Mix well.
2. Place the sesame seeds on a plate. Wet your hands, scoop 1 tablespoon of the tuna mixture and roll into a ball. Roll the tuna ball in the sesame seeds until well coated on all sides. Repeat until tuna is used up.
3. Deep fry the tuna balls over high heat for 1 minute, turning constantly. Serve immediately with the toothpicks.
From: Asian Tapas – small bites, big flavors (Christophe Megel and Anton Kilayko)
6 C boiling water
6 T white Miso
4 Thai red chilies, seeded and chopped fine
2 T of chopped, fresh ginger
2 T soya sauce
2 T Mirin
2 tsp white sugar (optional, white Miso is a little sweet)
Soba noodles or any kind of rice noodle
4 green onions, chopped into ½ inch pieces (mostly the white parts – don’t use the very end of the green part.
2 C fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 C cilantro, roughly chopped
½ to 1kilo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-on
Boil water and add Miso. When dissolved, add next five ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp, spinach and chopped green onion. Cook until shrimps are pink.
Cook noodles in separate pot (they cook really fast).
Put noodles in bottom of bowls. Ladle over the soup. Garnish with Cilantro
ps. this off the cuff soup by Doug was phenomenal!! -Paul